Desk of Contents[Hide][Show]
Think about a world the place kids happily keep themselves busy and learning whereas doing actions that they love and studying math on the similar time. A spot the place youngsters compete in a pleasant method by doing athletic actions, inventive video games, and studying books.
Sounds too good to be true, proper?
I’ve all the time heard that necessity is the mom of invention and that is actually true of this Journey Factors thought. Ever had a kind of motherhood moments the place each youngster wanted one thing on the similar time, one had simply spilled a smoothie all over the place and the infant wanted a diaper change?
I had a kind of moments and realized that for the sake of my sanity and the children’ exercise ranges I wanted to have a plan for summer time that didn’t contain them watching TV each day.
We reinstitute the system each summer time or over breaks. It places my youngsters’ pure inventive and aggressive sides to work for the great of all!
What Are Journey Factors?
We have already got the “Mom I’m Bored Jar” which works very well however is extra of a assist when they’re already bored. I wished to discover a approach to encourage them to discover actions with out losing interest within the first place.
Briefly, it is a easy system of factors for doing inventive or athletic actions that encourages motion and creative play over TV watching. It additionally has surprisingly decreased the bickering and combating in our home.
The concept for the title “Journey Factors” got here from my kids’ hiking boots, which they name “Journey Boots” since they put on them for climbing, fort constructing, and different outside adventures.
How Journey Factors Work
I sat down with a bit of paper and considered actions I wished my youngsters to do that summer time and assigned a degree worth to every. The youngsters helped me brainstorm and we got here up with a giant listing of actions that they take pleasure in (that don’t contain a display screen or a snack). Issues like:
- Driving bikes (30 minutes) = 10 factors
- Pull-ups = 2 factors every
- Push-ups = 1 level every
- Swimming = (30 minutes) = 10 factors
- Drawing (30 minutes) = 5 factors
- Getting ready a meal for the household = 20 factors
- Studying a guide = 5 factors
- Studying a chapter guide = 20 factors
- Fort-building = 20 factors per hour
- Folding origami (30 minutes) = 10 factors (Nice tutorials in this book)
- Make paper airplanes (30 minutes) = 10 factors (They love this book for ideas)
- Draw with sidewalk chalk (30 minutes) = 10 factors
- Learn to a sibling (30 minutes) = 25 factors every
- Climb a tree = 5 factors per tree
- Do a chore (not on common chore listing) = 10 factors
- Play Monopoly = 15 factors
- Play Scrabble = 15 factors
- Play Battleship = 10 factors
- Play Chess = 10 factors
- Play Uno = 5 factors
- Play Struggle (card recreation) = 10 factors
- Play Apples to Apples = 10 factors
- Play hopscotch = 2 factors
- Jump rope = Three factors
- Weed backyard (30 minutes) = 10 factors
- Play a recreation of wiffle ball = 15 factors
- Water the crops = 5 factors
- Run across the yard 5 occasions = 10 factors
- Soar on the trampoline for 10 minutes = Three factors
- Do a puzzle = 20 factors
- Do 25 cartwheels = 10 factors
- Write and mail a letter to buddies or household = 10 factors
- Create a scavenger hunt for siblings = 10 factors
- Play Legos (30 minutes) = 10 factors
- Get caught doing one thing sudden and type = 50 factors bonus
- Rollerblade outdoors (30 minutes) = 10 factors
- Take heed to a historical past podcast = 10 factors
- Watch a TED discuss (from this list) = 10 factors
- Watch/do a lesson from Udemy or Great Courses = 15 factors
I considered about 50 actions that have been value factors and assigned values to every. Then, I made a listing of enjoyable household actions that will be good targets for milestone factors. 100 factors would earn a wholesome dessert after dinner one evening whereas 1000 factors would earn a bigger reward like a particular exercise, new artwork provides, or a contribution towards one thing they’ve been wanting. (Tip: Use belongings you plan on doing anyway! That is only a enjoyable method for the children to earn them).
I’ve additionally discovered that the children are excited to be useful round the home after I provide “bonus factors” for doing factor above and past their normal responsibilities.
After just a few days of utilizing the system, I made a decision to create two separate lists for older youngsters (5+) and youthful ones (Four and beneath) to match their talent ranges because the youthful youngsters have been being left behind by older youngsters (who may do many extra pull-ups!).
Tips on how to Implement Journey Factors
When you’d like to do that system (and I’d extremely suggest it!), listed here are just a few suggestions for getting began:
1. Resolve on Actions That Work in Your Residence/Yard
Make a listing of actions you’d like your youngsters to do and break it down by age group if wanted. Determine how a lot every exercise is value within the level system you’d like to make use of and assign a degree worth to every. Be happy to make use of my listing as a begin!
2. Resolve on Rewards
Chances are high that whereas factors are an important motivator, your youngsters received’t be thrilled with simply incomes factors that don’t imply something. Resolve on what the factors will enable the children to do or earn and create a listing of this for the children. We attempt to focus on activities and experiences rather than stuff so our rewards have been actions, however bodily rewards will be nice too particularly if they may assist youngsters be lively or construct a life talent.
Some concepts of fabric rewards that encourage studying:
3. Observe the Factors
I spotted that the system wouldn’t encourage the unbiased inventive time I hoped for if the children needed to test in with me each time they did an exercise to get the factors. I made a decision to make use of the glory system (which has labored very well to this point) and get every child a small spiral notebook to trace factors. This fashion, the children monitor their factors every day and I simply tally as soon as a day to maintain the operating totals.
I additionally created a chart to assist monitor the factors for every exercise. You can download a copy for yourself here.
4. Get pleasure from Watching Your Youngsters Be taught and Play!
I used to be actually hoping that creating “Journey Factors” would unlock a few of my time by stopping the refrains of “I’m bored” and “Can we watch a film.” It actually has and I’m positively grateful for that.
I’ve discovered that much more than the free time, I’ve loved watching my youngsters creativity soar and the older youngsters play with the youthful ones extra simply since they’ve extra construction and concepts for actions (and since there’s a aim in thoughts). Additionally, conserving monitor of factors has been a enjoyable and sudden math enhance for the little youngsters as I hold listening to questions like “Does 243 plus 15 equal 258?!” 🙂
Your flip! What are some enjoyable methods you encourage creativity and exercise throughout free time at residence?